Our boy is 13 months old today!
This is the face I get when I asked him to “say cheese”. I just can’t get enough of him!
I’m not sure when I’ll stop these monthly updates…at some point they will become more infrequent, but I might as well keep it up for now!
Let’s see, the 13 month details:
* You sleep from 7pm-7am, pretty much without fail.
* You still take two naps, one in the morning from 10-11:30ish & one in the afternoon (this one is more flexible on the timing…but usually in the neighborhood of 2:30-4).
We tried dropping your morning nap for about a week recently at first because we had to be gone during your usual nap time 2 days in a row, and then for 2-3 days after that to see how you’d do.
The first few days you did great…2.5-3 hour afternoon nap right after lunch and you’d sleep in an extra 30 minutes -1 hour in the morning but then you stopped sleeping in and the afternoon nap started to get shorter which = “I still need my morning sleep” – so we’re back to 2 naps.
I don’t really care and I hadn’t even intended to try dropping the AM nap this soon, but it is nice to know that you can if we need to be somewhere in the morning. I’m not planning to make any big changes to your routine until after Owen is born…one big change at a time!
* You eat like crazy, you eat more than I do some days. You are a little more picky these days, but apparently that is normal. It is a little harder/frustrating for me because one day you will LOVE something and the next day you won’t touch it, but overall you eat really well.
* We have switched from formula to organic whole milk but we haven’t made the transition from a bottle to a sippy cup (for milk). You drink water out of your cup (the straw kind) but you haven’t been a fan of milk from a cup…so my plan is to get a different (non straw) sippy that is ONLY for milk and we’ll probably just switch cold turkey…I just honestly haven’t felt like messing with it yet…because I think the first few days will be rough…but perhaps you’ll surprise me! We’ll see how it goes…
Right now you drink milk right after you wake up in the morning and before bed at night and sometimes in the afternoons before dinner, but not always.
* Your co-ordination & motor skill still surprise us…you run pretty much everywhere…climb on anything…try really hard to jump from one piece of furniture to another (yikes)…you sign “milk”, “all done”, and occasionally the REAL “more”…you use a pincer grasp very well…you are learning to clap – usually you’re so excited you just flap your arms up and down or pat your legs instead 😉 You love to strum the guitar & play the piano…you adore anything with buttons (remotes, phones, etc)…you are about to figure out how to “ride” your tractor and push with your feet to make it go, right now you either push it around or just sit on it…you love lids, taking them off/putting them on…when you take the time to sit down you do well with your shape sorter (you can get 3-4 in on your own)
* Verbally, you are become more and more of an imitator. I can tell that you understand a ton of what we say and I can understand what you are trying to say most of the time – but I’m sure most other people couldn’t because a lot of your words sound the same 🙂
You definitely say, “dada”, “hot”, “trash”, “shower”, “up”, “down”
and you intended to say a lot more but they mostly sound like, “ah” 🙂
You point at things for us to name them ALL day long … I’m pretty sure you’re going to bust out with complete sentances one of these days.
You will also “moo” like a cow and “growl” like a lion/tiger/bear/etc. and “snort” like a pig and “vroom” like a truck/car/tractor
You still won’t say “momma”…I don’t want to talk about it.
* You LOVE animals. We started my own version of “tot school” (more on that later) but basically it is a little more intentional learning based play. This month was farm month 🙂 You’ve had lots of fun with it. We are going to a petting zoo this week and the Ft. Worth zoo next week (they also have a great petting zoo) and I can’t wait to see your reaction to all the real life animals!
* I am LOVING this stage with you! You are learning so much and your personality shows more & more each day…you keep us laughing with your expressions & “jokes”
* You are completely attached to your blankies (thankfully we have 2 matching, so we keep one in the car and one in the house)
* You are super sweet about climbing into our laps for a (quick) snuggle and kisses. Oh, and you think it is HILARIOUS when Daddy & I kiss 🙂
* You have 5 teeth, 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom, and several that are about to come in…I think they’ll be here “any day” but I’ve said that for weeks now…they are slow pokes!
* Your pretty obsessed with bellies right now. Momma’s belly. Your belly. Everyone else’s belly. We talk about “baby owen” in momma’s belly and you give my belly kisses 🙂 Very sweet. You have NO IDEA a brother is coming though. I think you’ll be so little that it will very quickly be the “new normal”
* We love you Hudson Mark. You bring such joy to our home 🙂 We are beyond blessed to be your parents.